The island of Bali is known as a popular tourist destination in the world, many tourists come here from various countries to enjoy the beauty of the atmosphere in Bali including the charm of its tourist objects. Apart from being famous for its beautiful beaches and exotic tourist attractions, Bali still has a lot of charm and charm, one of which is is cultural diversity, one of which appears in the form of Balinese carving art as one of Bali Crafts.
This Balinese Carving Art is a work of art that has been passed down from generation to generation from our ancestors. Works of art that are embodied in various carvings with strong characteristics. The main raw materials for carving which are the basic materials for making Balinese carving are of various kinds, some are made of wood, stones or other representative media.
The distinctive features of Balinese carving are that the carvings have floral, leaf or fruit motifs and combine them to form a concave shape. Apart from that, there is also another characteristic, namely that in its manufacture there are circular threads that produce curled ends on the carving.
Various motifs are also found in these Balinese carvings, such as story characters in wayang, stories about kingdoms, as inspired by the kingdoms of Majapahit and Padjadjaran. There are several carvings in the form of masks, depicting the shape of Patih Gadjahmada, Ganesha and so on.
Natural Inspiration in Balinese Carving
As explained earlier, natural inspiration is one of the strong characteristics found in Balinese carvings. Various motifs of leaves, flowers, as well as the shapes of various animals appear elegantly in the work of this sculpting artist from Bali. This work embodies the balance of nature that appears exotic but wrapped in simplicity and symbolizes harmony.
Types of Balinese Carving
There are so many types and motifs displayed from this Balinese carving. Some of them are:
1. Pepatran, is a type of Balinese carving depicting leaf and flower motifs, usually taking from vine patterns that produce beautiful and unique works. There is meaning in it, which is to remind people to be free from fear, heat and thirst and to provide a safe and comfortable feel.
2. Corrugation, is a carving art in the form of animal motifs, especially only the shape of the head. Examples of the results of this carving are crows, elephants, and various other wild animals. Each appearance of this form of coral carving has its own meaning.
3. Keketutan, is a pattern of Balinese carving that embodies the shape of a plant made with a repeating pattern. Selection of the best form of the plant which is then beautified and highlighted to produce an attractive work of art.
4. Sculpture Carving, is a form of Balinese carving which is also famous and much in demand.
5. Relief Carvings, embossed carvings on part of a building, which usually contain a message or a famous legendary story. Various themes are made, for example about classic legends, classic legend stories which are engraved in 3 dimensions in Balinese carving art to make beautiful works of art embodiment.
There are also themes of natural beauty or religion, for example philosophism of Buddhism or Buddhism, which has a close relationship with Bai’s carvings, even though the majority of Bali’s population are Hindus.
In addition, there is the theme of the story of Rama Sinta, which is widely found in the carvings of these Balinese carving experts. The main character in the story of the Ramayana puppet is a typical Hindu figure presented in the form of beautiful Balinese carvings.
Decorative Variations on Balinese carvings
There is a lot that is described when telling about the diversity and beauty of Balinese carving, various beautiful, unique and exotic works of art that are very thick with Balinese nuances. Many choose it as a decoration item that is suitable for various room conditions.tags: balinese carving