Handicrafted furniture made of bamboo is now increasingly recognized, because apart from being practical, lightweight, easily relocatable and of course unique, it is seen as one of the home decorations that has a function as a seat. Bamboo chairs from bamboo furniture Indonesia are very attractive and sell well in the international market, have high selling power and seem luxurious with ethnic style.
The need for bamboo chairs is still very large, both for the domestic market and for overseas markets. There are also many hotels, villas or luxury places that use it as a property of unique accessories from that place.
Therefore it is very interesting to see the process of making this bamboo chair, which is actually quite easy, fast, does not require much time, does not require special techniques and skills, everyone can learn it without difficulty, the most important thing is there is a will and persistence in doing it.
In the following, we will explain the materials for making, the types of bamboo that can be used to make bamboo chair crafts and how to make them practical and easy.
Equipment for making Bamboo chairs
- Wood saw, serves to cut the whole bamboo material into parts that have been planned
- The machete is useful for pruning and cleaning the branches on the bamboo
- Iron hammer, for tightening nails during bonding using rattan rope.
- Pliers, function when binding bamboo with rattan rope
- Engraver, useful tidying up the inside of the bamboo sticks
- Wood drill, to make the necessary holes, and not easy to break when using this wood drill.
- Carving maker, to make decorative carvings with various styles
- Sharp knife, to remove the skin from the bamboo sticks.
- Brush, as a finish for giving a layer of varnish or melamine on the surface of the furniture
Basically, all types of bamboo can be used to make bamboo chair furniture, as long as the bamboo is old enough, around 13 months, and has adequate physical appearance, including its diameter, to make bamboo chairs.
Here are some types of bamboo that are recommended for making bamboo chair furniture:
1. Bamboo Betung
Betung bamboo is bamboo with good quality and strength, so it is often used as a basic material for various building and furniture construction purposes, such as for house poles, bridges, parts of boats or as furniture.
The characteristics of this petung bamboo are its large size, segment length of about 40-50 cm, diameter of 12-18 cm, and its reeds can reach up to 20 m with curved ends.
2. Bamboo Tutul
Bamboo tutul can be cultivated in various places, both in the lowlands and in the mountains. The shape is unique and stands out with a brown spot color, has good durability and is suitable for various furniture including household furniture, beds, shelves and many more, and can be used as a semi-permanent house wall material. Features a length of 20 m with a diameter of 12 cm.
3. Bamboo Apus
Apus bamboo, also known as tali bamboo, has a characteristic reed that is straight up to 22 m long and has curved ends. It is usually used to make baskets or woven items for household purposes, but it can also be used as poles, floors, walls of houses or ceilings of houses.
4. Bamboo Ater
Ater bamboo, also known as Javanese reed, is the most widely used bamboo as a building material or household appliance. The characteristic length can be up to 22 m, the body does well in areas with a lot of rainfall.
5. Bamboo Gombong
Gombong bamboo is very good for use as a material for making furniture, because of its large size. Besides that, it can also be made for making halls, gazebos and woven tools.
Ways of making
- Bamboo which still has water content begins to be dried so that it becomes harder and can last longer.
- To make sofa chair furniture, it takes around 6-12 bamboo sticks. The initial process is to make a design that will be made, determine the calculations including the holes to be made.
- Execution process by starting to cut using a wood saw in accordance with the design that has been prepared.
- After finishing the cutting process, then the process of assembling bamboo. Always try to be precise in assembly so that the position is strong, does not sway and the corners are symmetrical.
- Next is the binding process with rattan
- After finishing the binding, then it is decorated according to the existing models.
- The next process is sanding the bamboo
- Finally, it can be polished with a lacquer finish, or it can also be treated with melanin, and then dried.